Festival of contemporary art
Art Sheffield 2013 brings together new commissions, exhibitions and performances, by international, UK and Sheffield-based artists at locations across the city. A programme of events, talks and discussions runs throughout the festival.
The Art Sheffield Festival 2013, closed on Saturday 14th December. Please find information about this year's festival using the menu on the left.
Our new website including a full listings service for Art Sheffield will be launched in the New Year. To keep up to date with what’s going on in Sheffield, please join our mailing list.
Art Sheffield is a consortium including: Bloc Projects, S1 Artspace, Sheffield Institute of Arts at Sheffield Hallam University, Site Gallery, Museums Sheffield and Yorkshire Artspace.
Art Sheffield is looking for passionate and enthusiastic volunteers to get involved in this year’s festival. As an Art Sheffield volunteer you will be a key part of a highly motivated festival team. Volunteers will have the opportunity to gain experience working in a lively contemporary arts environment, and will receive full training and briefing before the event. Areas in which volunteers may work include front of house and exhibition invigilation; marketing and social media; audience participation and feedback; technical support and installation; and special events.
Ideally we are looking for volunteers who can commit to at least 1 day a week throughout the festival period, however, there is a minimum of 6 days volunteering commitment.
Volunteers for Art Sheffield 2013 should:
- Be available to volunteer for no less than 6 days during the course of the festival between 3rd October and 14th December 2013
- Be available to attend a training session in Sheffield at the end of September 2013
- Have an interest in contemporary art, galleries and museums
- Have good communication skills
- Work well within a team
- Be able to use their own initiative
- Be reliable and punctual
- Preferably be based in Sheffield or the surrounding area and be flexible in terms of time commitments and volunteering hours
In return, Art Sheffield will:
- Host a training session for volunteers at the end of September 2013
- Provide volunteers with a rota and Volunteer Agreement at the training session
- Provide all volunteers with an Art Sheffield T-shirt and Volunteer Handbook
- Offer guidance and support to volunteers related to their role during the festival
- Create opportunities for volunteers to gain experience in their particular areas of interest where possible (eg. exhibition installation, special events)
- Comply with Health & Safety guidelines
- Review volunteer’s progress at the end of the volunteering period
- Offer CV advice and a reference for volunteers following the festival
Opportunities for volunteers will be available in the following areas and may include the following tasks:
Festival Launch & Special Events
- Supporting the Festival Producer to prepare the event
- Setting up for workshops and talks
- Meeting and greeting guests and VIPs
- Hosting artists and guests
- Running during events
- Documenting the launch and special events
Technical & Installation
- Supporting artists and technical teams in installing work
- Acting as production runners
- Acting as technical support during live events
- Maintaining the high quality presentation of exhibitions during the festival
Front of House & Invigilation
- Opening, closing and supervising exhibition spaces
- Switching installations on/off
- Meeting and greeting visitors
- Acting as the friendly face of the festival, sharing advice with visitors and recommending other festival activities and events
- Manning the Art Sheffield Information Kiosk at Sheffield Station
- Encouraging audience feedback
Marketing & Social Media
- Creating social media posts prior to and throughout the festival, featuring exhibitions and events
- Distributing marketing material in Sheffield
- Promoting the festival online
- Creating updates for the festival website and blog
- Encouraging audience feedback
Audience Participation & Feedback
- Assisting at festival workshops and participatory events
- Assisting with administration and event bookings
- Talking to festival visitors and gathering feedback
- Carrying out evaluation surveys
If you are interested in volunteering with Art Sheffield festival, please complete our online Application Form and Equal Opportunities monitoring form.
If you have a query about volunteering with Art Sheffield Festival, or would like to complete your application in a different format, please email Jennifer Mulholland at email@example.com.