One Great WorkshopSat 13 Jun 2015 – Mon 29 Jun 2015 Bloc Projects (open Weds – Sat / 12pm – 6pm)
A project by Future Works as part of Sheffield Design Week and the Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC) Connected Communities Festival.
In the 19th century, the city of Sheffield was referred to as ‘one great workshop’. The network of factories in Sheffield shaped the physical, social and economic landscape of the city; today the city is still home to making at a range of scales. The past, present and future of Sheffield’s industries large and small is tied to changing relations with energy in the workplace.
The Future Works strand of the Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC) Stories of Change project, based at the School of Architecture, University of Sheffield, aims to uncover stories about the relationship between energy, industry and landscape in the English Midlands. One Great Workshop will focus on the stories of Sheffield and include an exhibition, talks, walks, workshops and activities linking visual art and design with a focus on energy and making.
Sheffield Design Week is a city-wide celebration of design in all its forms. The AHRC Connected Communities Festival supports co- production and wider engagement between communities and researchers and is taking place between June 15th – 29th at locations across the UK.
- Sat 13 June, 1pm: Launch alongside Sheffield Design Week wider launch and Art Sheffield tour.
- Weds 17 June, 1pm: Workshop with students of University Technical College (UTC) Sheffield, through which young people will develop scenarios for the future relating to energy use in industry. (Closed event)
- Weds 17 June, 4pm: Cloud Photo Booth with Tim Mitchell – have your photograph taken and pose your question or thought about the future of energy.
- Sat 20 June, 12.30pm: Industrial Heritage Walk in the Sheffield Centre with local experts.
- Sat 20 June, 3pm: Steel Experiences – artist Nicola Ellis in conversation with local experts and visitors around their stories and experiences of the steel industry past and present.
- Thurs 25 June, 6pm: Stuart Mitchell (Stuart Mitchell Knives) and Joe Smith (Open University / Stories of Change) in conversation.